Monday, August 31, 2009

Half Dome 2009

This past weekend a group of friends and I went to Yosemite Valley. For some dumb ass reason we decided to hike Half Dome. The 16.3 mile round trip hike with a total elevation gain of 4800 ft is strenuous in more ways than one. The last half a mile gains about 1000ft of elevation; the first half of which is on narrow switch-backed steps cut into the granite and the second half on the infamous cables to assist ascending ~50 degree slope of slick granite. This is by far the most difficult and grueling thing I've done in my life.


Justin and Jen


Water fall.




Up-hill battle


8.2 miles up, 8.2 miles DOWN!






Half way.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Cool, you're updating this blog again! And your photography skills have improved greatly, kudos! I wish I could save up for a nice camera, but you know where my priorities lie :P Would love to be able to save for a bike too, so I can join your bike gang. HAHA.

I would have totally chickened out if I had gone. Seeing these pictures scare me - especially the cables! *shivers*

Again, great pictures!

Jen said...

p.s. Congrats on climbing Half Dome! You guys kicked ass!

Unknown said...

great pix ray =)